1.21.2010

Mooooore Orientation and stuff..

We had another 2 hours of orientation this morning. We did a workshop on "stereotypes." And we pretty much pointed out all the negatives about Americans and then all the positives about Mexico. I mean, Mexico is cool, but so is America.
Anyway, that was really boring. And then we went on a boat cruise and it went to Notre Dame and turned around and came back. But not before we went through 7 locks on the canal and then through a 2000 meter tunnel... sooooo anyway hahaha it wasn't an incredibly successful boatride.
Then my friend Emily and I went to Tati (it's like a Target... kind of) I got some pillow cases and a comforter for 20€. It's a pretty good deal! And the comforter adds a lot of color to the drab whiteness of the apartment. I'll take some pictures of the apartment soon so you can see it :) it's a very humble abode.
But anyway, on the metro on the way to Tati it was rush hour and we were literally jammed into the metro. I was crushed up against the guy in front of me and the guy behind me and the wall beside me and the lady on the other side. it was actually a little bit ridiculous. I literally couldnt move at all. Not a good metro experience. Next time i'll wait for the next train. Definitely.
Tomorrow we are going to go shopping after our General Meeting for ABS :) I'm pretty excited. I am going to get a Longchamp bag because they are very cheap here, and it's the big sale period too! So things are like 30-70% off! Who knows maybe I'll get two ;)
We are going to go get our Louvre passes tomorrow since it was closed when we tried to go last time. I'm looking forward to being able to just think "I have nothing to do, I think I'll go to the Louvre for a while." I am my mother's daughter!
I'm still a little jetlagged I think. Or maybe I just need to get used to the city. It's pretty stressful just to go from one place to another. I'm not used to all of this and I'm on sensory overload! But I do love it. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up staying a little longer than the semester, or coming back later in life :) hehehe. But I'm really liking it! even though it makes me exhausted.
I, unfortunately, will not be able to take a French language class while I am here. This will be news to my parents when they read this, but I am taking a French Civilization class. Which I don't really have the opportunity to take at Missouri State. Especially not when I can just go outside and walk around the topics of discussion in the class. There was a mix up with the school, and they aren't going to do a placement test so the French language classes are full. But I am very okay with my schedule, and a lot of people are in the same classes as me so I won't have to come home on the metro by myself at night (don't worry mom!! :)
I have been reading more Marie Antoinette and it's very interesting to be in the city where all the horrible stuff that happened to her went on. I'm pretty excited to visit Versailles now that I know more about Marie Antoinette, and know that she spent a lot of her time at Versailles. I really want to visit the little village she created too! I can't think of the name of it right now. It's Petit Trian or something like that... it sounds really cool :)
It's been fun to know what I do about French History (learning from the many museum visits and walking tours given by Mrs. Marilyn Frederick's Guide to Paris) because the other kids ask what this is or what that is and I'm like, well you see... hahahaha and they're like wow.. that's really cool! So that's fun.
Anyway, I'm going to go get some soup and read a little more Marie Antoinette.
I love it when I get comments from you guys :) it lets me know you are actually reading what I write and want to know what's going on en Paris :D
Merci pour le lire!

À tout à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment